Since I am in charge of cooking (and I like to cook), I do the grocery shopping (and conveniently, I like to shop). The grocery stores here are generally much smaller than your typical Vons or Ralph's...picture a large convenience store back home.
I can find almost everything I need, albeit with the prices significantly marked up, especially for meat. Even chicken is expensive here, which was a bit of a shock. At the corner Super Brugsen that I like to frequent, I have got into the habit of buying whatever is the daily sale item in the meat display case marked "100 kroner" that is right near the entrance of the store. Pork chops, sirloin (thinnish, but tasty), flank steak (smallish), chicken breasts (actually tastes like chicken!)...all pretty standard and recognizable fare. At least that was until I brought home something labeled "Kalvespid bryst." It was some kind of red meat in a nice fillet shape is all I could figure out, but as it was on sale, so I threw it into my (old lady) shopping cart and kept going.
I finally went to defrost it just now and figured I would use my handy Danish dictionary (there's an App for that) to figure out just exactly what it is that I bought. First, it didn't recognize the word at all, so I tried splitting the word in half. Not surprisingly, "kalves" means cow - go me. However, the literal translation of "bryst" is breast or chest. Huh. Fascinating. I have apparently purchased a piece of beef boob that is now defrosting in my fridge and that I will somehow have to cook for dinner tomorrow. A further search of recipes that were translated from the Danish using Google Translate yielded results for rabbit! Again, fascinating. Even I can see that this piece of flesh is too big for a rabbit, unless it's the one that ate Tokyo.
Eventually, I figured out that what I have is a doll-sized piece of beef brisket...or at least I hope it is! Normally, I would cover it with a chili-based spice rub and the slow roast it in my oven. Good luck finding chili powder (note to self - order that by the case!). I will have to improvise and if all else fails, I will smother it in a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (which we did buy a case of - yum!). In the wise words of Jeremy Clarkson - "How hard could it be???"
Ha! Ha! Boob. HA! Have fun rubbing stuff on your beef boob!
ReplyDeleteGlad you started a blog. I never have anything to read because nick and ryan refuse to post anything on ours so this is good news.
ReplyDelete